Updated patterns!

I'm in the process of updating my old patterns, particularly the bibs, to include charts. I'm rewriting some of the directions to make the patterns even easier and including alternative methods for beginning the bibs and for making the ties. Look for these patterns in the sidebar to see which ones have been added. It's a slow process, but eventually, they'll all be there!



Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Counters and Markers

Check out these really neat row counters that I found on Etsy. This is my favorite shop for markers and I'm sure I've mentioned them before, but now Jeanette has come up with her own design. I love them because you just change the loop as you knit along so you know which row you're on. I'm always misplacing my counter or if I try to use one of those cylinders, I never know when one of my grandsons might decide to just give it a twirl. (They're lots of fun for little fingers!) With this counter, I don't have to hunt for a pencil and paper to keep tract. They're especially handy when I'm doing rows of garter stitch on a dishcloth. I don't know about you, but I always have a little trouble figuring out how many rows I've actually knit. Yes, I know two rows make a ridge, but it isn't always that simple! Anyway, the markers come with different size loops and lots of different beads. The one of the left has the small loops and will fit up to a Size 4 US or 3.5 mm needle and the one of the right has medium loops which will fit up to a Size 11 US or 8 mm needle. I just put the dime in the picture to serve as a reference for the size.

She also sells these great stitch markers. You might have seen them before, but I hadn't. I love the big loops. I have big fingers so it was always a pain to try and hold open those small markers with the lobster claws. These are so easy to open and close.
You can find Jeanette's shop here . Oh, and no, I'm not related to her, nor do I have interest in the business. I'm just a huge fan.
On the knitting front, I finished up a couple pair of socks for the boys. The purple ones are from Berroco Comfort Sock in the "English Garden" colorway. This yarn is acrylic so I wasn't so sure how I would like it, but I actually really enjoyed knitting them. Mom is so busy, she doesn't have time to wash handknit socks by hand and lay them flat to dry. We needed something that could be tossed in the washer and dryer. I just wish they had more "kid" colors.
The brown socks are knit with Paton's Stretch Sock yarn in the "Taffy" colorway. I wasn't as thrilled with this yarn. I'm not sure how comfortable they'll be. Maybe they'll soften up in the wash. I do like this color though.
The pattern for both socks is my own. I knit so many socks, I just kind of make them up as I go. There are a million free sock patterns for kids, so the trick is just to find one that you like. These both have a flap with a garter stitch edge and a gusset. I don't care for the short row heels, and, because these are for the boys, I just used a round toe.
I have a new bib pattern that's almost ready to go. I just have to knit up a matching cloth! I'm hoping to have it done by Arbor Day. That's the only hint I'm giving!

4 comments:

RoamingKnitter said...

Love the stitch markers. I'll check out her site.

I really enjoy wearing my socks I knit with Stretch Socks. They are my most comfortable pair & don't bag or wrinkle.

susanmark said...

HI Elaine,

Cute stitch markers.

When is Arbor Day? I am too lazy to look at calendar.Do hope it's soon as I am looking forward to the newest pattern.

HUGS
Susan

Deb said...

The stitch markers are so neat.

Ironically, I just finished my second pr. of socks using the Berroco Comfort Sock yarn: http://luvsknitting.blogspot.com/2010/03/my-first-pair-of-toe-up-socks-are-done.html
and, I using Paton's Stretch Sock yarn for my current sock: http://luvsknitting.blogspot.com/2010/04/new-socks-two-at-time.html

I like it so far. Your socks look great!

Sandy Perez said...

Making Hop Along as a dishcloth since I doubt my pre-teen grands would wear bibs. And you and I are of an age-- we were taught that dinosaur was a brontosaurus.