I know that several of you have been waiting patiently for an update on the baby blanket that I started a couple of months ago for little Ruthie. I know this because I've heard from quite a few of you. It pains me to admit that I have royally screwed it up. I haven't been talking about it, because I'm just so annoyed with myself for being so stupid! I was sailing right along and thinking I would have it done in plenty of time. In my mind, it was going to be so cute and special. I bound it off and went to block it and then, to my absolute horror, I discovered that the borders weren't even close to matching! Now, this may not seem to be a big deal to some of you, but I wanted this to be perfect. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. How could I have messed this up so badly? I did measure, but apparently not very well.
I realize that it's not a very good picture either. I just couldn't capture the true color, but you can clearly see the lousy borders! Turns out, that I don't like the yarn either!
It's Plymouth yarn's Encore, a blend of wool and acrylic. I have knit with this before, but I'm just not thrilled with it. It is a pretty shade of green, despite what my camera is doing to the color.
So then, what should I do? I could just gift it as is. My daughter-in-law assures me that I'm the only one who would even notice. This isn't comforting though, as I wanted this to be really special. I've always been a bit of a perfectionist, so this is really bugging me. I decided that I also don't like a couple of the designs. The proportions are just a little "off". I think I know that I really need to start over. I found a couple of other yarns that I'm testing to see if I like them better.
Isn't this color horrid? I bought my new camera just so this wouldn't happen. I guess when one thing goes bad, everything else follows. However, you can see two of my new designs here. The goose, which needs to be scaled down a little, and a new pig design. That's as close a look at you're going to get for now though, as neither of them are close to being ready for posting!
On a positive note, I wanted to share with you a couple of pictures of blankets that have gone right! Jamie, who is deadpoet7
on Ravelry, made this little number with six of my patterns:
I don't know what yarn she used, but she took nine of the designs and then sewed them together. I like the way it reminds me of a quilt.
Cindy, who goes by CindyPsych
on Ravelry, knit this pretty blue blanket:
She used Lion Brand's Baby First for her yarn and added this adorable border. See, it is possible to knit a nice border. Perhaps I should have consulted with Cindy before I began!
Thank you to both Jamie and Cindy for letting me share their pictures. I guess now I have to decide if I want to start over or not. Stay tuned.