I finally have finished all the obligated knitting I had and now I'm free to work on whatever I want! Such a wonderful feeling! I managed to knit yet another duck sweater, this time for a little girl in mint green. I love the way this sweater comes out, but I just hate fighting with this yarn and I'm not crazy about having to sew up all those seams either.
This time around, I thought I'd get creative with the hat. Since it was for a baby girl, I decided to knit a little ruffle for the brim. How hard could it be to figure out? Double the stitches, knit for an inch and then decrease. Easy. HAH!! My first attempt was going along fairly well, until I realized that I had way too many stitches. The hat would be huge, so I ripped it out and started over with fewer stitches. When I was almost ready to begin decreasing, I noticed a large hole right in the beginning. Since there was no way to fix it, I had no choice except to rip yet again. Third time should be a charm. I cast on even fewer stitches and this time I made it all the way to where I should begin knitting ducks. I managed to get three rows done before the yarns all tangled up with each other to the point that I couldn't even pull them apart. I looked at the mess in my lap, then I calmly picked up the hat, the yarn and my needles and threw them across the room! My poor husband who happened to be sitting with me, just turned his head and said "feel better now?" Actually, I did! LOL! I never have thrown knitting in my life, but it was actually a relief to just give up. A word to the wise, don't try to invent a pattern when you have a deadline to meet. I had wasted three whole days on this disaster!
At this point, I decided to just move on and start on some bibs.
I had to knit another duck bib and I thought it would be fun to knit my "Puddles" pattern. You know, the one with the butterfly? Anyway, I knit the whole thing and when I went to block it, I discovered that I had knit two eyes. This would be fine, except that the duck was supposed to have one eye. This creature looked like something Picasso would have drawn! It was already done, the ends were all woven in and I was ready to begin bib #2. Grrrr! I just decided to go back to the Quacking Up pattern and knit that instead. You might notice that this duck is facing the opposite way. Not only did I knit it in reverse, but I actually reduced the size of the bib so it conforms with the stitch and row count of all my recent patterns. I'm wondering if I should write it up or if that would just confuse everyone. You will notice that this duck does have one
Bib #2 was my Heartbeat pattern. I love this design. It always comes out cute no matter what color it's knitted in.
For Bib #3, I went back to one of my early designs, Rhonda's Delight. This is such a neat pattern for using up those pretty variegated yarns.
It's fun to knit (in my opinion) and seems to go pretty quickly. This design is named after Rhonda White who first published the DW Washcloth
. The bib was published in the 2009 Dishcloth Calendar. It also is in need of a serious update! I think it's good for me to go back and actually knit some on my old patterns so I can see what needs changing. Those old pattern writing skills were a little shaky!
Back to the hat. As I was knitting on the bibs, I decided to give it one more try. Since I only had one day left before my deadline, I went for a simple rolled brim hat and only knit one duck in the center.
I cast on 72 stitches and knit in the round for about 2 inches, then I knit a couple of rows. To begin the design, I cast on one extra stitch and knit back and forth so I could knit the duck with intarsia. When the design was completed, I started knitting in the round again and decreased the extra stitch. When the hat was about 5 inches in length, I decreased the crown as follows: " k6, k2tog" to end; knit one row; *k5, k2tog* to end; knit one row; *k4, k2tog* to end; knit one row, etc. until I ended up with four stitches. Then I just knit an I-cord for about two inches and tied it into a knot.
I just had to sew up the couple of inches in the back. It's only slightly noticeable. By adding the extra stitch, it made up for the seam. (I'm aware that there is a method for doing intarsia in the round, but I didn't have time to try and learn a new skill!)
So there you have it. All the baby presents for a shower I'm not even invited to. I told my mom she could take credit for the knitting if she wanted! She's almost 87 so let her have a little fun!
PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME FOR THE DUCK SWEATER PATTERN!!!
As far as I know, this pattern is still protected by its copyright. I don't have any proof that the pattern is no longer available, but if you really want it, perhaps you could try contacting Sirdar. Ebay has a lot of vintage patterns and there are a lot of other companies that specialize in old patterns. If it was my own design, you know that I would share it in a heartbeat.