Updated patterns!

I'm in the process of updating my old patterns, particularly the bibs, to include charts. I'm rewriting some of the directions to make the patterns even easier and including alternative methods for beginning the bibs and for making the ties. Look for these patterns in the sidebar to see which ones have been added. It's a slow process, but eventually, they'll all be there!



Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Simple Garter Stitch Baby Bib


Here is the very first bib pattern that I created. It’s just a simple garter stitch bib that looks really good in variegated yarns. I had tons of dishcloth cotton and wanted to do something other than dishcloths. When I found out that I was going to be a Grandma again, inspiration struck and so this bib was born. Dishcloth cotton is great for mealtime, but if you want a bib to help with the drooling at teething time, I recommend that you use a superwash wool. The wool will help to wick the moisture and keep baby nice and dry. The last thing a baby needs is a soggy wet mass of cotton lying on his/her chest!


Yarn: Any worsted weight cotton like Peaches & Crème or Sugar and Cream. 1 ball.
Suggested Needles: US Size 6.
Gauge: 4.5 stitches to the inch, although gauge isn’t critical.

Cast on 15 stitches.
Knit 1 row.
At beginning of each of the next 6 rows, cast on 3 stitches and knit across row. (33 sts.).
At beginning of each of the next 2 rows, cast on 2 stitches and knit across row. (37 sts.) Knit even for approximately 7 inches.
Knit across 13 stitches; bind off next 11 stitches, knit to end.
Knit one row.
At neck edge, decrease 1 stitch every other row 2 times. (11 sts.). End on wrong side row.
Work even for 6 rows.
Decrease 1 stitch at shoulder edge every other row until 5 stitches remain.
Decrease 1 stitch at beginning and end of row. (3 sts.)
Knit an I-cord on remaining 3 stitches for approximately 12 inches.
Join yarn at neck edge and work to correspond to other side. If you’re careful joining the yarn, and weave the end invisibly, the bib can be reversible. It won’t really matter as strained peas will cover a multitude of errors!

Copyright 2008 by Elaine Fitzpatrick. Permission is granted to reproduce this pattern in any medium, as long as it is distributed for free and this copyright notice remains intact. Permission is also granted to produce items from this pattern for sale.

8 comments:

Alli's Little World of Knitting! said...

This simple little bib is fabulous! I love the way it showcases the pretty varigated cotton yarns. I definitely have to make this one!!

Hugs
Alli

Donna said...

These are simply the nicest baby bibs I've seen online! Thank you so much!!

Nancy said...

These bibs are simply too cute for words. Seriously...I have no words! Thanks for sharing!

susanmark said...

HI I'v e knit two of these garter stitch bibs and they are just adorable.

THANK YOU for your wonderful patterns.

HUGS
Susan

Mary said...

I love making this bib I am on my third one the only thing I did a little different is do a cable cast on instead of the regular one.Mary B

C. Latchic said...

I am a novice. I have been working this bib for a little while. I am fine until after the cast off section for the start of the neckline. When it says to knit a row, the two rows connect with yarn! Can you help me?

Jacki said...

C. Latchic - you won't knit all the way back across after you've cast off the center section. Just work the stitches for one side back and forth, leaving the stitches for the other side on the needle or cable. Then, when the instructions say to pick up the yarn in the neck stitches (something like that, I can't see it while I'm commenting), you'll be knitting the stitches for the other side of the neck.

C. Latchic said...

Ok, great! Thank you!