Updated patterns!

I'm in the process of updating my old patterns, particularly the bibs, to include charts. I'm rewriting some of the directions to make the patterns even easier and including alternative methods for beginning the bibs and for making the ties. Look for these patterns in the sidebar to see which ones have been added. It's a slow process, but eventually, they'll all be there!

Thursday, May 16, 2013

Pure Imitation

I don't belong to Pinterest (or Facebook for that matter) but I do like to check out some of the boards, particularly those that pertain to babies and kids.  I came across this sweet little cardigan.
I loved the whole design especially the little feather and fan detail at the hem.  Unfortunately, the post was all in French and even with the Google translator, I just couldn't figure out how to get the pattern.  Or even if there was a pattern!  I decided that it couldn't be that hard to recreate it, right? Well, yes and no.  The trouble with trying to recreate something is that there is a lot of trial and error.  A lot.
I started with my own Sweet Tee pattern.  Because I wanted a cardigan, I added two extra stitches to each end so I could have button bands with five stitches.  From there, I knit the whole yoke in garter stitch.  This was a little tricky as I had to knit more rows because the garter stitch shortened up the length.  I ended up with a few more stitches than the pullover has.  This was okay, because it just meant that the armholes would be larger and that's never a problem when you're dressing babies. The other problem was that I had to figure out how many stitches I needed to complete the feather and fan pattern.  Once I worked that out, I added the increases in a bunch at the center back.
They don't really show up in the picture but it added a little extra flair, if you will.  I'm not crazy about my shoulder increases compared to the original.

I added the same eyelet band to the sleeves and used some buttons that I had in my enormous button stash.  All in all, I think it came out pretty cute.  I used two skeins of Cascade 220 Superwash.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I will admit that there was one huge, glaring error.  I hadn't seen Ruthie in awhile and wouldn't you know, the little bugger had the nerve to grow and the sweater was too small!!  How could she do that to me??! Still, I know the sweater will go to a good home and will keep some other little girl nice and toasty, but I was disappointed not to see it on my own grandchild!  They tell carpenters to measure twice and cut once.  I think that advice could also apply to aging grandmothers!  Measure first and then knit!!


carol said...

Oh My Goodness!! That is simply precious and adorable. I love the feather and fan flair at the bottom of the sweater. The open work on the sleeve edges & the middle just added that little bit extra. Thanks for sharing your beautiful projects.

Kathy... said...

OH! Such a cute design! You are so talented....you really should gather up all your patterns and publish a book - or a set of them, actually. I so often think back to those very first days..... Remember when...

Your "sweet Tea" pattern might be just the perfect pattern for using my MarigoldJen skein. I'll have to check the yardage.