You may remember that my grandson, Jack, has a parakeet (Fred) that he just loves. I thought it would be fun to surprise him with some parakeet socks after I found this chart on Ravelry.
I changed the pattern slightly by eliminating the yellow and by adding an extra space between the birds.
I needed to go back and add the yellow beaks, but I just duplicate stitched them.
I think it's really tricky to strand socks, as there's no stretch, so you have to make them large enough to pull on or be super careful about leaving enough slack. Unfortunately for me, the first sock was way too tight. I had to just cut the yarn and start all over again.
Usually I cast on between 52 and 54 stitches for his socks, but the only way I could get the pattern to work in this case was to cast on 66 stitches. I made up for all the extra width by ribbing the foot. I also made them a little longer, so they'd last. My thought was that if they were larger, I might not have to make another pair. . . ever!
The yarn is Holiday Yarns Flock Sock in Ice Bear. It's almost the same color as Fred. I had some leftover Bamboo Regia that was mottled just like his head. (Fred's, not Jack's!) I like having the varying shades of gray. The white was Cascade Heritage.
Jack just loves the socks and his mom says that he wants to wear them ALL the time. Sigh, looks like I may end up having to knit another pair after all.