First I made a pair of fingerless gloves for my daughter-in-law. She has a new winter coat, and I thought she might like a new pair of mitts to go with it. The pattern is Mitt Envy. This is my go-to pattern when I want a quick pair that also looks really nice! Unfortunately, they don't look quite as nice on my wide hands as they do on Emily's slender ones, but remember it was a gift so I had to be the model!
The yarn is by the former company, Sereknity, which is now called Mad Color Fiber Arts. It's their Good Harbor yarn made up of wool and seacell. I'm not sure exactly what seacell is, but I do know that the yarn was wonderful to work with and it has a very pretty sheen. This color was "Dragonfly". I made the cuff longer and I lengthened the start of the thumb gusset to accommodate her long fingers. I also reversed the direction of the cable. For some reason, the cables in the original pattern bother me!
I also knit a hat for my son out of Malabrigo worsted. The pattern is a freebie on Ravelry called "One Row Hat". The color is Cypress which is a beautiful dark green. In this picture, which I took outside so I could get an accurate color, the hat looks like an old gray. Grrrr!
Anyway, trust me that it was much nicer in person! Wasn't it nice of husband to model it? He didn't mind because he knew he wouldn't have to wear it! He's strictly a baseball cap kind of guy!
Finally, I saved the best for last. We took my two older grandsons to a Christmas tree shop before the holiday and they each picked out new ornaments for their tree. Because my youngest couldn't come, his older brothers also picked out an ornament for him. He loves pandas (as you long time readers know), however, all the ornaments were of blown glass. Before Marty could even see what his brothers had bought, it slipped and broke into a million pieces! I decided to replace it with something that wouldn't break.
This was a cute pattern that I found on Ravelry and it's also available here. It was a very quick knit, however, I thought it really needed some arms, so I just did a couple of small I-cords and sewed them to the shoulders. I also crocheted a little scarf.